Ayurvedic Ghee for Health and LongevityPosted: Dec 15th, 2017
Ghee, also known as clarified butter, is a wonderful substance valued in the Ayurveda tradition from India. It is used to enhance digestion and absorption of vital nutrients and healing properties of foods, spices and herbal medicine. In Ayurveda, ghee builds ojas, the foundation of our immunity and longevity. While butter provides essential nutrients and fat, it is not compatible with everyone’s digestion and may create congestion for some people. The process of clarifying butter involves cooking off the water and separating out the milk solids. This produces a liquid gold substance that is both purifying and nourishing, and promotes clarity, and radiant energy.
You can find ghee in the cooking oil section at your local Clover’s Natural Market and Natural Grocers. However, it is very easy and satisfying to make yourself, for only the cost of butter.
FOLLOW LINDSAY'S RECIPE HERE
Other benefits of ghee:
- Improves strength and flexibility of joints, skin and hair
- Protects the body from cold and dryness.
- Aids elimination, helps alleviate constipation.
- Helpful for lung and sinus congestion.
- A carrier oil for other fat-soluble medicinal herbs, either ingested or applied topically
- A delicious healthy cooking oil that is stable at very high temperatures.
Here are some of ways to use it in everyday cooking:
- Combined with digestive spices to reduces gas and bloat associated with legumes and some vegetables
- Over rice or morning hot cereal
- For sautéing, or oven roasted veggies
- Baked or roasted chicken
- With baked potato or sweet potato
- Spread over toast
- In a glass of warm spiced milk before bed